A Little Church History
- The first Methodist sermons in the Hanover Township were preached by rev. Joseph Tharp in 1811.
- The first traveling minister to preach in Perry Township was Michael Ellis who formed a class at the home of James Tharp in 1813.
- The deed for the present building was made the 29th day of January 1844.
- This fine church edifice stood as it was build until the year 1948 when a partial basement was dug and a furnace was installed. The church interior was redecorated and two new Sunday School classrooms were added sometime after.
- In 1971 the church name was changed to United Methodist.
- The basement was expanded two more times. The last being completed int he spring of 1979. This addition added two restrooms and a nice kitchen to replace the old one.
- In 1976 the church purchased the two lots north of the church. One lot contained a house that would later be remodeled in 1982 for a parsonage home.
- In 1978 a parking lot was added behind the house.
- In 1981, the church was re-plastered, woodworking refinished, and ceiling painted, wall to wall carpeting, and new window drapes installed giving the church a brand new look.
- 2007 received a copy of a multi-lingual hymnal from missionary Rev. Kristin Markay. the church helped sponsor the printing of the hymnal.
- Most recently a modest addition was added to the North West corner of the church. The addition expanded the basement yet again. It also provided an additional Sunday school room, a handicapped restroom, and storage. Most importantly the addition contains an elevator which allows the mobility challenged to access all levels of the church with no stairs. An additional parking lot behind the church as added at this time. The addition and parking area were dedicated August 2009.
- In 2010 the church published a website.
- A new welcome/message sign was installed in the Spring of 2010.
- Summer 2010 installed a book holder for our copy of the multi-lingual hymnal the church helped make possible through a financial donation to an Italian Methodist church where missionaries Revs. David and Kristin Markay served for many years. The holder was crafted by Dan Osborn.
- November 2011 a new roof was installed on the original church.
- November 2013 Celebrating 200 Years of Methodism in Perry Township, Licking County, Ohio.
- Advent 2015 saw the gift of a new outdoor nativity. Wooden structure was made by Joe Somers.
- The pastor's office was refinished with updated furniture. As well as the south Sunday school room and vestibule in the Spring/Summer of 2016.
- Additional pieces for the outdoor nativity were donated during the 2016 Advent season.
- Starting in December 2016 and finishing in May 2017 the kitchen, restrooms, dinning area, and storage area of the main basement were beautifully remodeled.
Site powered by Weebly. Managed by WebHostingPad.com